Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Day 11 - Progress is Good, Life is Good

Yesterday, I was so busy building this new company (and playing Girl Scout Mom) that I didn't post, so today I'll post entries for Day 10 and 11!

So, first, the progress:
- Inventory arrived!  All my stuff for the "Fresh Fix" gift bags came in finally!  Ironically, the same day as my credit card bill, so I'd better get selling.

- Product photography.  I hired my friend Jim, who did the Sassy Ladies' photo shoot in July to take some great, professional pictures of the bags, and I'm almost ready to shoot the launch video. One more product to pick up. I haven't been able to find it at a price I like. 

- Research and development - I set up meetings with an embroidery person, and someone "who's absolute passion is sewing", with screenprinting capabilities, to keep the product development of the "jammie hoodies" moving along. I added that phrase to the trademark search Kas is running for me.  I also found out that the company that brought you "The Snuggie" just released "Hoodie Footies", which are "soft as a marshmellow" and really cute.  Good - that means there's a market for this.  Jumping on it. My meetings are on Wednesday, and hopefully I'll have specs in a couple of weeks.

- Mansions, club wear, makeup, oh my! - Put out feelers on a piece of real estate I would love to own in Newport, contacted y friend Todd about a line of branded club wear, met with Jade, who could help me tremendously with events and childcare, and added more people to the service provider list (reiki, reflexology, makeup, video/documentary services, limo provider and a yacht charter). Moving right along!

- Brainstorm sessions - And, I brainstormed some more with my trusted advisors - this time, family members.  My Dad, who gave me some really cool business advice that he learned from my grandfather (remind me to tell you that story some day) and my brother and sister-in-law.  Alicia is one of the "beautiful people", who is always stylish, well-put together, and smiling.  I had to return the Christmas present I bought her (a North Face jacket), because it was too small.  So we went out shopping for a new one, and found a fabulous cream colored Calvin Klein - a warm, hooded, puffy jacket. (I am sure that there is an "official" name for this style, which she probably knows, but I'm clueless.)  She looks adorable in it, and it was fun to "talk shop" while we shopped! She loved the "My Big Fresh Wedding Party" concept, and offered to help.

My Dad offered the use of his 1971 Cadillac El Dorato for shuttle services, and his Caddy Club connections. I'm calling it the "Fresh Sugar Daddy's Caddy" shuttle.  I can't wait to hire my dad to drive me around town! I also want to hire my mom to be my business manager.  She's so good with managing all the details and bookkeeping- she's done it for my dad for years. My daughter is already designing the perfect child care center, complete with Miley Cyrus' closet for dress up, and gate, to keep the boys out.  LOL  My cousin Christine will be the accountant.  This will be a family business indeed.

What else, what else... oh! Life Is Good!
I'm a big fan of the "Life is Good" brand.  For Christmas, everyone in my house got L.I.G. clothes  - Rich got a long-sleeved "Road Warrior" bike shirt, Jessie a "Surf's Up" t-shirt, Nick got a basketball t-shirt, and I got an Aqua Volleyball!  I went to blow it up yesterday, and in typical Michelle style, skipped a step (moistening the needle) and the pin broke right off the pump, embedded in the hole and I almost broke a tooth trying to get it out.  Thank goodness for my hero, Rich, who took it to his workshop in the garage, and came back with a fully repaired, properly inflated ball, which I can now play with.  I'm not sure the pump made it, though.  Rest in peace.

So, as I was throwing out the box, I decided to cut out the cute logo for my desk. I noticed that they are right in Derry, NH, a few hours drive north of here.  I'll be connecting with them soon, to see if there's any possibility of a Fresh collaboration. (Road trip!)  I just love their message, their look, and the quality of their products.  It's a good company, with a great story. Life is good indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment