Monday, January 18, 2010

Day 16 - Climb

Yesterday we watched the movie "The Sound of Music", and today I can't get the music out of my head. That Julie Andrews, what a goddess she is. Love her.

I watched the scene where she runs back to the convent after being encountered by the sly Baroness at the ball. That's when the Grand Poobah Nun tells her she must go back to Captain Von Trapp, and sings, "Climb Every Mountain"...you know the lyrics. Climb every mountain, cross every stream... until you find your dream.

My brain doesn't file things quite logically, so while she's singing this song, my mind flashes to another mountain song, by Miley Cyrus, "The Climb", my favorite of her songs. You may not know the lyrics, but they go a little something like this:

"I can almost see it.
That dream I'm dreaming.
But there's a voice inside my head saying,
You'll never reach it...
There's always gonna be another mountain.
I'm always gonna want to make it move.
Always gonna be an uphill battle.
Sometimes you're gonna have to lose.
Ain't about how fast I get there.
Ain't about what's waiting on the other side...
It's the CLIMB."

Pardon the grammar, but she's saying, "It's the journey, not the destination". And of course, now I'm typing about songs about dreams, and tomorrow being Martin Luther King, Jr Day, my mind then jumps to the "I Have A Dream" speech.

Here's the part when I could make a long blog longer, but I won't. I could add an excerpt from the chapter in my book on Dreaming, refer to my friend Tara Steeves, the dream coach and founder of the Dream Party, who wrote a book on dreams. I could share all the dreams I've ever had, discuss day dreaming, dream analysis, or just say "Sweet Dreams", and sign off.

But instead, it's the CLIMB that stands out for me. Because with every "dream come true" I've ever had, from the beginning point, the dream itself seems so far fetched, so unattainable, so far away. And now, having seen the grand vision of the "Fresh" venture, I'm in the same exact place-having to move mountains to make it happen. More than one person who has read this blog has said to me, "I don't know how you do it."

Well, neither do I. But I never worry about The How. I just take the next step in faith. And the next one, and the next, and eventually, I finish the climb. And it feels good. And then, way over there, there's another mountain to climb. And I always want to make it move.

Am I restless? Attention deficit? Nope. Just ambitous, I'd like to think. Definitely not lazy. Sometimes a little crazy. But no one is going to make my dreams come true except for me. And so, to climb, or not to climb? That is the question.

It's not about what's waiting on the other side-it's the CLIMB! :)
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

7 comments:

  1. You go, Girl!! Keep climbing, because somehow, you always seem to reach the top!!!
    Love ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you add that you saved a sick friend from kid "cabin fever" hell, all in the same day!! I owe you a favor now, because that is what friends are for.

    CLIMB wonderful and I hold it dearly as you get closer to clarifying the next venture.
    (Now that tune is in my head)

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS: how did you type this via your blackberry at the Children's Museum, you are unstoppable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, thanks, ladies.

    Michelle, do you know that room upstairs at the children's museum, the one with the big wooden cow? The kids stayed in that room for about 20 minutes, dressing as pilgrims and staging a big colonial feast at the table by the hearth. I plopped down by the door, so I'd see if one of them escaped, and took out my Blackberry and tapped out this post.

    Yes, I admit it, I never stop working. I was a couple days behind in the blog, so I jumped at the chance to write while they played. Diego came out once or twice to offer me "root beer", which I had no idea was a pilgrim favorite! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are always such an inspiration, Michelle!

    Your huge fan,
    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, and your passionate work isn't "labor" work, but loving it work...so it keeps the juices going and is a going to yield a great gift to all of us! So keep going, but do find time to be present with the day.

    ReplyDelete