Thursday, March 11, 2010

Day 39 - Save Beechwood House

Here is an experiment in using the global internet to make change happen locally.

My Search for the perfect property

As you know, I've been researching various properties around the state for a home for my new business. I've been driving by these yellow signs that say "Save Beechwood House!" with a Gmail address. While I agree that Beechwood House (a lovely waterfront Victorian, which until last fall served as the senior center, and just ordered demolished by the town) should not be razed, I didn't know much about what was going on with that property.

Intuition
Something made me pause on Tuesday, and stop by the property to get more info. With no website, and no knowledge of which groups were behind this effort, I went to the new senior center to get some info. The nice lady at the counter was friendly, but not too helpful. "We're not leading that cause, so I guess you'll just have to email them to find out." A nice man gave me a tour of the new facility, which is just beautiful. I joked with him that I can't wait to turn 55, so that I may use it, too.

The Scoop
I emailed the address yesterday morning, and was connected with Dave, who met me at Bagelz for coffee that afternoon. He gave me the scoop on the recent history of the building, the forces trying to save it, and those trying level it. I got the sense that those who supported the new building construction for the senior center just didn't want their ocean view obstructed by this building. Aside from some town resource-draining suggestions (like a museum, youth center or moving the building), there have been no strong proponents for DOING something productive with the site.

My Love
This property played a central part in welcoming my family to North Kingstown when we moved here in June of 2008. I remember dragging the kids around to look at houses on Memorial Day Weekend, and rewarding them with a quick visit to the beach. They immediately met some young friends and were very enthusiastic about the move.

The morning after we moved in, I put on my sneakers early in the morning, and took a walk around my new neighborhood. Destination: Beach Street, one mile from our house! The big oak trees and stone walls reminded me of my childhood home in Cumberland. The ocean front community area reminded me of our beach house in Narragansett. The best of both worlds, it instantly felt like home. I picked up a shell that a seagull left behind, and added it to my collection when I got home. I remember feeling wistful that the Beechwood Senior Center was not for the use of all citizens. But the town elders must have their own space to gather, and lucky them to have such a beautiful spot to enjoy!

In the months since, I have walked almost daily around town, including frequent sunrise visits to the Beechwood House porch rockers. What a completely wonderful way to begin a day that often is chaotic for me, in my life as a work-at-home mother of two.

Of course I'll help!
So from Day One (which was yesterday, ironically) I was "in". I wanted to join the Forces of Good to stop the Forces of Darkness from destroying a cherished town asset. But how? Dave shared with me this link to Preserve RI's Preservation Alert for Beechwood House:
http://www.preserveri.org/files/uploads/Preservation_Alert_-_Beechwood_House_2_25_10.pdf

All this was so helpful in trying to help figure out what our strategy should be. Since we're still working on this part, I won't share all the cool details here, but I'm curious to see if the "Save Beechwood House" keywords will lead people to this site, for more information. It was something I was lacking when I searched.

A Movement
I have been "doing what I do" when I get an idea - vetting it with friends and neighbors. So far, every time I say what I would want to do with the Beechwood House, people's eyes light up. And then, the suggestions start. And I love every one of them, already envisioning the smiles on the citizen's faces as they gather there.

- a cafe, so people could stop, buy food, eat, hang out, read,
- a bookstore,
- a small wedding or conference facility, (similiar to what Narragansett Beach has that generates as much as $180,000in additional revenue for the town),
- music performances on the porch or in the parlor,
- space for youth to gather after school,
- space for moms to gather with their children (and caregivers to provide tired mom's with a much needed break) I hear that one! :)
- space for non-profits and entrepreneurs to meet, get online and have some food
- an Inn, to return the property to its early 20th century use as a stop over for tourists heading to Newport.

Personally, I'd love to see a volleyball tournament, or other lawn sports like bocce ball and croquet. How fun would that be?

My Facebook friends agree. One friend, from Newport wrote:
"I've seen the signs. Didn't realize they built a new senior center in NK. The old home is beautiful...would hate to see it torn down."

Another mom offered her help if I got it going. Another two friends (one from the RIEDC) gave the idea a "thumbs up".

I stopped to chat with some ladies who knit on Thursday afternoons at Bagelz (which is quickly becoming the cultural epicenter of Wickford, BTW). They said "Oh, I overheard someone from the Town say that for so long, no one has taken any interest in the building, but now that it will be razed, we've had 3 or 4 inquiries." Dave said that 4 local churches support the facility's continuation as a youth center. Awesome. It should be easy to get support. So, what's the hold up?

They needed someone to step up with a valid revenue-generating proposal for the use of the property. Something that would not cost the Town money, but rather create some return on the investment it would take to renovate it. They won't sink money into a moth-balled property. I don't want my property taxes to go up either. Makes sense. But who?

Looks like they found their girl. But, I know that it takes a village to save the world. And it will take a local tidal wave of support to share the responsibility and the rewards. If anyone has any interest in doing ANYTHING - painting, planting flowers, light construction, offering workshops that might bring people down, renting the place for a function, WHATEVER... please email SaveBeechwoodHouse@Gmail.com. Or, even better, post a comment here, and let us know what you think. The more people see the tidal wave coming, the better chances we have of success!

Thanks, everyone, in advance. I thank you. Dave and Mike and Ed thank you. The Beechwood House thanks you, too. I see the potential in that place. And, I suspect I'm not alone. :)

6 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle - I've met you at the South County Open Coffee at Bagelz. I'm with C. Murray Consulting. Anyway - I live in NK and just sent an email to the guys trying to save Beechwood House and told them I would be able to help in anyway. Thanks for taking the initiative. Do you think a Save Beechwood House page on Facebook would help?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a super idea, Michelle!

    Michaela Kennedy
    http://kiikoncepts.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Wendy and Michaela,
    Thanks for your enthusiasm! We do have a Facebook Fan page growing - please join the conversation over there:

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Wickford-RI/Save-Beechwood-House-Historic-Wickford-RI/10150118919395277?ref=ts

    You could be fan #200! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Michelle-
    Great writing!

    I have a great idea for the house, have just downloaded the RFP, and am preparing a proposal to submit on October 12th.

    I'll be at the open house on Sept. 23rd (9-11am) for the walk-through.

    Ken Proudfoot
    kennethproudfoot@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Michelle,

    I have a bit of a concern about two things you mentioned. I don't think having a museum as part of Beechwood would be resource-draining. In fact, it could attract more tourists and so benefit businesses. But it is just one possible use of a potentially multi-use building.

    I think the idea that Beechwood is going to cost the town money needs to be stamped out, or it will generate a lot of opposition. The town has already budgeted $125,000 to tear the building down, so that gets spent either on that or on restoration.

    The other funds necessary can be raised elsewhere, from the many people interested in historic preservation, or the new tenants, revenue, etc. Over time, once the building is stabilized, there is no need to rush, as the NEIndependent said in a recent editorial, although I am not sure the Town Council sees it that way. They seem to have no appreciation or concept of how to deal with historic buildings.

    There is also the moral issue that the bond that the voters passed a few years ago included $500,000 to restore Beechwood. Of course, it is too late for that to help, since the Town Council misspent the money on something else and denies, despite the testimony of previous council members and Asset Management committee members that that was the intent, that it was the intent. Still, I think we have to write off the misspent $350,000 difference.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Karen,
    Thank you for sharing you thoughts on this. I agree that a museum could attract tourists, and that would bring revenue to the town.

    And I am right with you in the thought that Beechwood does not have to cost the Town money, but instead should be looked at as a resource that will generate money for the town - taxes, new jobs, and keep dollars in town instead of our residents leaving town to spent it elsewhere.

    I, too, am curious about the other $350k, but I am glad to see that they are still committed to $125k, which really should go a long way in the restoration effort.

    Overall, I think the folks on the Town Council are doing their best, trying to serve many opposing sides, and I hope that in the end, a great idea like the one Ken is proposing (very close to what I envisioned last spring) will be welcomed with open arms - by the RFP review committee, by Town Council, and ultimately by residents of NK and RI.

    ReplyDelete